New Entrant Information
Welcome to St Albans Catholic School. We look forward to a long and happy association with both you and your child.
We want to make your child’s transition to school as enjoyable as possible and we look forward to working with you and your child.Please don’t hesitate to approach me with any queries or concerns you may have regarding your child’s day at school - phone the school office on 355-7538 to leave a message and I will reply as soon as possible. In the meantime don’t forget to complete the following forms and return to Jenni in the school office.
Welcome and Kind Regards,
- Student Information Form
- Education Outside the Classroom Permission Form
- Cyber safety Form
- Fonterra’s Milk for Schools Form
Welcome and Kind Regards,
Mrs Robyn Thomson
(New Entrant/Year 1 Teacher) Room One
As part of the enrolment process, times will be arranged for you and your child to have school visits.
Please ensure your child has a:
- healthy morning tea/snack and a packed lunch on the appropriate days as well as a named drink bottle with water.
- sunhat, if your child’s visit is during Term 1 or 4.
Catholic Special Character
Listed below are the prayers that are used in Room One and it would be desirable if your child could be familiar with them. Additionally, your child will occasionally come home with their Religious Education Workbook.
Class Prayer Pack
Your child may occasionally come home with the Room One Class Prayer Pack. This will include such things as Bible stories, a Mass book, statue, cloth and prayer cards. This Prayer Pack provides an opportunity for you to join together in a special family prayer time. It is used for the week, please return on Friday morning.
Sign of the Cross ~ Children use their right hand.
God, my loving Creator, this new day is for you.
Please bless everything I think, I say, I do.
Our Father (The Lord’s Prayer)
Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come,
thy will be done on earth,
as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
Hail Mary, full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women.
And blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, mother of God,
Pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end.
Grace Before Meals
For what we are about to receive, may the Lord make us truly thankful.
Thank you for this happy day, for all our work and all our play.
Guide us on our homeward way, God our loving Father.
Readiness for School
It would be helpful if your child could master some or all of these skills before starting school.
- can follow simple instructions
- can recognize/write his/her own name in lower case letters
- can manage scissors and crayons
- can hold a pencil correctly
- has some alphabet knowledge and experience with books
- can initiate some conversation e.g. even ‘good morning’
- can handle morning tea and lunch items independently
- can pack and unpack his/her bags
- can express him/herself clearly
- can sit down for a short time and listen
- is responsible for own personal items
- can manage the toilet unassisted
- has basic manners – please/thank you etc.
- can manage own clothes and shoes (velcro is great!)
It is expected that the children will have a nutritious lunch with a water bottle each day. We suggest the use of reusable plastic containers.
Children have the opportunity to buy a sausage and fruit lunch on a Thursday during Term 1 and a Friday during Terms 2 - 4. The cost of this is $2.50.
Reading will be sent home regularly. Please enjoy the book together and re read any books included in the reading folder. Please ensure your child has their reading folder at school each day.
Room One’s Library session is timetabled for a Wednesday. The children are issued two books for the week. Please ensure books are returned before the next library session as new books will not be issued until returns are made.
The following costs are to be paid to the school:
- Contribution ($35 per term) ~ $140.00
- Religious Education Resource
- Online Maths cost (subsidised by school)
This payment is $140 per year per pupil. The payment covers the cost of all Education Outside the Classroom e.g. the cost of buses, shows, Science Alive lessons etc. The payment does not cover the cost of swimming lessons.
Applications for your child to bank with ASB are available in the office. Banking days on the same day as Sausage sizzle Day i.e. Thursday during Term 1.